Sssh. This must be the best kept secret in the beauty universe. The Miraskin ultrasound & Hyaluronic Acid system is safe for all skin tones and types. It mega-plumps your skin, boosts your skincare results, collagen & elastin, brightens & fades discolouration. The easiest & least effort device for confidence boosting results. Just ace.
Quench, plump, smooth & glow
The Mira-skin device is a small hand-held ultrasound wand and used weekly it boosts the effects of your skincare. It passes ultrasonic waves into your skin with the help of a water-based conductive gel. This opens tiny pathways so more skincare molecules get deeper into your skin. Apply the Mira-skin or your own anti-aging serum before, and your favourite skincare products after the quick ultrasound session.
The Mira-skin serum deep-fills your skin with Hyaluronic Acid and brightening actives. The ultrasound also stimulates collagen and elastin production to make your skin fresher and glow. The result is super-quenched, plump and soft skin, with filled in lines and wrinkles, and faded pigmentation.
What it fixes: Glow, hydrate, plump & smooth skin, reduce fine lines & wrinkles, fade age spots, redness & pigmentation.
Related: more about how ultrasonic boosting with Hyaluronic Acid works
Very easy to use, requires gel. Quick, pleasant, pamper time. Relaxing. No pain or side effects. Love the sheet masks!
Low effort. Takes max. 10 mins just one or two times a week. Feel the difference within days, but best results after one to two months. For regular, ongoing use.
Dry, sagging, lacklustre skin is plumped & super quenched. Feels beautiful and gets even better over time as skincare actives & collagen build. Noticeable results after each Mira-skin mask treatment.
- Very low effort & commitment
- Quick, easy, relaxing weekly pamper-time
- Compact, simple, robust & excellent battery life
- Especially good for more mature skin
- Gets more from the skincare you’ve already invested in
- Immediate visible results with the Mira-skin Hyper-hydration masks!
- Clinically proven & CE certified
- 30-day money back guarantee when bought from Mira-skin.com
- Ongoing cost of gels
- Hyaluron serum & masks are expensive (but lush!)
Mira-skin starter kit deals €389/£340/$389:
In this Mira-skin Ultrasound anti-aging review:
The Mira-skin starter kit comes in a small neat white box covered by a green, grey and white slide off information sleeve. It’s clear, straight-forward, and with a clinical feel. It looks very professional.
The results of the 2016 clinical test are clear along with a reassuring ‘clinically tested’ badge.
There’s also a USB charging cable under the plastic tray.
What’s in the box
The Mira-skin starter kit comes with:
- Mira-Skin Ultrasound ActiveBoost wand
- Mira-Skin Ultrasound Conductive Gel (50ml)
- Mira-Skin Hyaluronic Serum (15ml)
- USB-Charging Cable
- User Guide
The Mira-skin ActiveBoost wand is small but sturdy, solid & robust with quality stainless steel and silicone materials. It feels good to hold.
Before you start
The Mira-skin device arrives charged, so all you must do before starting is read the user manual. It’s an informative, easy and quick read with helpful diagrams and pictures.
It starts by explaining ultrasound and notes you must use the conductive gel with the ultrasound wand. Then how it works and when to expect results. It explains how to operate it, and areas to avoid with the ultrasound wand. More on that below. Reassuringly, there are no skin reactions to the ultrasound.
Towards the back, the guide lists important reasons you shouldn’t use it. The key guidelines are don’t use it if you’re pregnant, under 18 years of age or if you have a heart condition or pacemaker. You should also consult your doctor for advice if you have a skin condition.
There are a few skincare ingredients which if combined with ultrasound can cause irritation. These are Nanoparticles, Essential oils, Fruit acids and Enzymes.
It’s quick to get started because there’s no faff of a sensation test or test patch before using it.
OTHER PREPARATION TIPS
- Take a before selfie so you can track your progress
- Watch the ‘how-to’ video before you start
- Pick a time when you’re not rushed or interrupted
- Stay hydrated for best skin plumping results
- Find a comfortable spot in front of a mirror (I prefer sitting rather than at the bathroom mirror)
- Open the user guide at the routines page
- Put on some music or TV if you like.
- Wash your face and neck
- Tie your hair back so the gel doesn’t get in your hair
- Have a towel handy to wipe your hands
- Apply gel with a cosmetic foundation brush
Once you’ve read the user manual and got set up, you can start. Each session takes 5 to 10 mins. Work on the left side of your face and neck, then repeat on the right. The gel dries out so it’s best to divide your face into sections.
- Apply the Hyaluronic Serum to washed and dry skin, let it soak in
- Apply the ultrasound gel to the first section, 1 or 2mm thick
- Turn the device on
- Glide the treatment head in slow smooth strokes covering each section of skin 3 times. See below for technique
- Move to the next section, apply the gel and glide. Repeat on all sections
- Once you’re done, wipe the treatment head clean
- Wipe your face with a damp flannel if needed. Dry and apply your own anti-aging skin care products within 30 minutes
The ActiveBoost wand automatically shuts off if not used for 5 minutes.
There’s no Mira-skin App because it’s all very straight-forward. There’s a handy visual guide on page 19 of the manual, and a video tutorial on the Mira-skin website. They explain how to glide the Active Boost wand over your face.
Apply 1 to 2 mm of gel and cover all your skin with the treatment head. This is how you move it across your skin:
Start with your forehead: With gentle pressure apply the treatment head flat against your forehead between your eyebrows. Move slowly in circular motions, or smooth swipes across and down the left side of your forehead towards your temple, avoiding your eyes. Repeat 3 times.
On your cheeks slowly glide the wand from your nose along your left cheekbone toward your temple with multiple swipes to cover all the skin, but avoid your eyes. Repeat 3 times.
Glide down your left lower jaw to your chin. Repeat 3 times.
Glide down your neck from your left jawline, avoid your throat/Adam’s apple. Repeat 3 times.
Repeat on the other side of your face.
- Don’t treat your eye area, ears or your throat as pictured above. Glide the wand, don’t stop in one place. And glide it in one direction only, not back and forward.
- Don’t use the Active Boost ultrasound more than ten minutes per treatment or more than 3 times a week. This can tire out your muscles and tissues and make your face look worse.
And don’t forget to apply your skincare products immediately after the session. The skin pathways stay open for around 30 minutes so these skincare molecules can get in deeper too!
Charging & battery life
The wand comes fully charged so there’s no waiting around. And the battery life is excellent. Each charge lasts for several weeks of ultrasound sessions.
When the indicators flash yellow, this means it needs charging. Always use the USB charging cable provided. The cable fits any mains plug adaptor and I like this beacuse there’s no bulky charging cradle or plug to carry around.
The cable is short so find somewhere safe to sit it while it charges. Rest it balanced on the edge of the treatment head or on something soft so it doesn’t roll! The indicator lights slowly pulse yellow as it charges. When it’s fully charged, they flash green and you can disconnect the wand from the mains. Each full charge takes up to 8 hours.
Ultrasound wand design
It feels quality, durable and well-made. The cordless wand is very comfortable to hold and easy to grip. With just one button to power on and off, it’s super-simple to operate too.
The newer design (as of 2018) has a 3.5cm diameter circular treatment head that’s curved away from the straight wand, and angled back at about 45 degrees. This means you can see what you’re doing as you glide it across your face and neck. (Note: the previous design was straight and held at a right angle to your skin).
Mira-skin explain they use more expensive quality components. This packs the same power as salon-grade devices into the small ActiveBoost wand. Therefore, unlike other home ultasonic infusers, the Mira-skin uses therapeutic ultrasound at 1 MHz. Devices with ultrasonic waves below 1 MHz don’t work as hard. Therefore, you must use them more frequently, some even daily, to see results.
The 1 MHz Mira-skin wand is best for two reasons:
- You need only one 10-minute session a week to see boosted results from your skincare products.
- This ultrasound frequency even keeps your skin extra absorbent for 30 minutes. So, skincare products applied immediately after your sessions get deeper into your skin too, for much better results.
IMPORTANT: You can do more for faster results, but don’t exceed 3 sessions a week. The ultrasound is powerful and overuse can tire out your muscles and skin tissues for the opposite effect!
However, you still can’t hear or feel anything from the wand when it’s on. But you can test it to see if it’s working.
With it powered on hold the treatment head facing up and on it place a few drops of water with your finger. You’ll see the water droplets dance and vibrate around on top.
15ml Hyaluronic Serum
Using an anti-aging serum with ingredients focusing on your areas of concern is vital. And you’ll need an advanced hyaluronic serum for skin plumping results. But you don’t have to use the Mira-skin serum. The ultrasound boosts the effects of all good anti-aging skin care.
However, you get 15ml of the Mira-skin serum to try in the starter kit (I think a bit more would make for a better test!)
Apply it every morning and/or evening after cleansing but before moisturising. It’s easy to make part of your skincare routine and is pleasant to use. Apply it before each ultrasound session too.
Here’s why I like it.
- I like the simple, recycleable glass bottle and that it’s free from chemical preservatives, colouring, parabens, silicones and mineral oils.
- It’s vegan and it’s not tested on animals too.
- It certainly feels premium. I love how easily two pumps slip across your skin and then sinks so it’s invisible. It has a soft rose scent.
- It’s a good all-rounder with a selection of antioxidants, skin brightening and rejuvenating actives. Plus, the super-plumping short-chain Hyaluronic Acid.
- The serum results in the mira-skin clinical test are clear and impressive
- It became our testers favourite serum after a few weeks of use.
I checked the ingredients list with an objective (and rather addictive) source at incidecoder.com to decipher what’s actually in the serum. You can see the full list of ingredients here. According to the decoded ingredients list, the key goodies and superstar actives are:
- Sodium Hyaluronate (aka Hyaluronic Acid): a skin-identical ingredient, and a moisturizer/humectant
- Retinyl Palmitate: or Vitamin A, a cell-communicating ingredient
- Ascorbic Acid: an antioxidant, skin brightening ingredient
- Tocopheryl Acetate: or Vitamin E, an antioxidant
- Ubiquinone (Q10): an antioxidant
- Thioctic Acid: an antioxidant
These actives help reduce wrinkles, brighten skin (dark spots and redness), protect collagen, smooth, firm and plump skin. And of course, it’s all formulated to get deep into your skin with the phonophoresis ultrasound boost. With impressive clinical proof.
So, it’s worth trying the 15ml tester. It lasts around 2 weeks of daily use. If you like it you can then buy a much better value 50 ml jar for £119 (vs £49 for 15ml). Or, just continue with your own serum if you prefer.
You must use an ultrasound conductivity gel to pass the ultrasound waves from the treatment head into your skin. Otherwise, they’ll have no effect.
I thought the gel would be faffy. However, it doesn’t smell, it’s a good consistency and it feels pleasantly cool on your skin. The gel dries slowly enough too (if applied in sections) and doesn’t leave a sticky residue.
Two pumps from the 50ml bottle covers one side of my face (forehead, cheek, jaw / chin, neck).
It’s also got more Sodium Hyaluronate (aka Hyaluronic Acid) in it. And other moisturising and humectant ingredients too, so it’s going to help seal in goodies after ultrasound. Here’s a list of the gel ingredients on incidecoder.com.
You don’t need to wash it off. Most of it is dry by the time you finish. But I still wipe around my face with a damp flannel to remove any wet bits. Then immediately apply your own moisturiser.
The 50ml gel in the starter kit lasts 35 sessions or just over 2 months using it for 3 treatments per week. You can then buy a 200ml gel. However, at £69 that’s expensive.
How does it feel?
At least once a week, use the serum and the ultrasound for a super-boosting facial treatment. Try picking an evening when you know you’ll be at home and have plenty of time.
It’s quick, easy and calming. And although there are a few steps with gels and what-not, it’s very easy and intuitive.
The gel feels pleasant and cooling, and as the ultrasound wand works, the temperature of the treatment head warms to the same as your skin. It has a safety control so the temperature never gets hotter.
There’s no sensation from the ultrasound at all. You can’t feel any vibrations.
It doesn’t take much concentration, save to remember how many glides you’ve done per area. And the gliding motion is slow and soothing. I find my mind empties as I follow the methodical routine. It’s a pleasant bit of pampering down-time to look forward to.
Afterwards, my skin feels smooth and firm. And I feel relaxed. It’s a shame you can’t do it every evening.
- Evenings work best. Make time before bed so there’s no rush.
- Treating before sleep is a helping hand for your skin’s natural overnight regeneration too.
- Try scheduling a relaxing evening each week.
- Use the Mira-skin serum or your favourite Hyaluronic serum
- Don’t forget to apply your daily anti-aging skincare within 30 minutes
- You can even pamper your significant other too.
- Use it 2 times a week if you feel the benefit, but never more than 3 times in a week.
Effort & results
Mira-skin say use the serum daily, morning and night. Then, one or two times a week (but no more than three), combine the Mira-skin serum with ultrasound in a quick 10-minute boost. You can use your own serum if you prefer.
It’s just one simple, consistent routine from the start. Therefore it’s easy to make it a habit.
Daily use of the Mira-skin serum keeps the pools of Hyaluronic Acid topped-up. And at least one serum and ultrasound session per week deep-fills the lower levels and your skin cell metabolism in high gear. And because the ultrasound sessions are short it’s very low effort indeed.
|2 months to noticeable results||2 month total effort||Ongoing effort per week||Ongoing effort per month|
| 10 minutes per session
1 to 2 times per week
|2:40 hours||20 minutes per week||1:20 hours|
It’s quite possibly the easiest and lowest effort anti-aging system there is.
When will I see results?
With daily application of the Mira-skin serum and 1 or 2 weekly ultrasound sessions you’ll likely feel some quick effects from the mega-hydrating Hyaluronic Acid. Such as relief from dryness, softer and smoother skin as our tester did.
Then, over the next month or two the Hyaluronic Acid builds, replacing what you’ve lost. Your skin gets plumper and fine lines and wrinkles reduce.
Related: our Mira-skin user trial results
You’ll also see changes from your skin’s increased collagen and elastin. And from the other serum actives too. As your complexion gradually refreshes, age and dark spots start to fade, your tone brightens and scars fade.
Thus, hydrated, plump, bright, supple and smooth skin with softened wrinkles.
IMPORTANT: If you use your own serum and not the Mira-skin serum your results will vary depending on the specific active ingredients.
Although the end results are noticeable, the changes during the journey are subtle. So, you may miss them without a comparison. Therefore, I strongly suggest you take before and after photos, and keep a simple diary of the changes in your skin. Test over 1 or 2 months. Repeat with different products (as you like) then you can compare them and choose what’s best for your skin.
There are a few negatives and niggles with the Mira-skin system.
First, the wand. This can roll if not placed down carefully. Rest it facing down, balanced on the edge of the treatment head (as above) or place it on a towel so it stays put.
Next, the serum. In the standard starter kit you get only 15ml of the Mira-skin serum. It lasts for around 2 weeks of daily use but I’d prefer to get at least double for a good test. So, we asked Mira-skin and they’ve set up a bonus deal with just that. Shop through the links at the end of the review to get one extra 15ml of HA serum free. Woohoo!
The price of the serum matches a premium product, but much cheaper alternatives are available. If it’s too pricey for you, simply continue with your own favourite products. Check the ingredients to see what effects the ultrasound will boost for you. If it’s missing Hyaluronic Acid you may lose the plumping effect so consider a separate Hyaluronic Acid serum too. I love the Ordinary HA 2% serum.
Our tester also found the silver pump on the serum small, fiddly and slippery. It ‘clicks’ down abruptly so product can shoot out and miss the target. It’s the same with the conductivity gel.
Then there’s the cost of the conductivity gel. It’s very expensive at £69 for 200ml. That’s £3.45 per 10ml. Wow-ser.
You can buy much cheaper alternatives. Amazon lists ultrasound conductivity gel, some for £2.50 for 250ml. That’s a massive price difference at just 10p per 10ml. Many are hypoallergenic and medical grade. They’ll conduct the ultrasound waves but may not contain the added moisturisers and humectants. However, you’ll apply your own moisturising skincare after ultrasound anyway so you don’t really need the added ingredients.
I’d rather spend my cash on the Hyaluronic serum. It’s a bit much to fork-out so much for the gel too.
Should I buy it?
Yes. The Mira-skin gets a big smiley-grin thumbs-up and scores top marks.
It’s a fantastic choice if you love and use good quality anti-aging skincare products. That’s because it boosts their effects so you get more from the money you’ve already invested in them. It’s also the only home device which can replenish your lost Hyaluronic Acid for serious skin-plumping (if used with a potent HA serum).
It’s very easy to use, there’s no pain and it’s soothing and relaxing. And at just 10 minutes a session, it’s easy to make time for it. In fact, it becomes a calming weekly ritual and a bit of pampering me-time.
Use it just once a week to see results after 1 or 2 months. You need to keep going but that’s easy because it requires little motivation and it’s such low effort.
The Hyaluronic serum is excellent and gives super-plumping effects. Try the mask just once and you’ll be hooked too. We love it for all skin types but especially more mature skin. Buy from Mira-skin.com and get a reassurring 30-day money back guarantee too.
Here’s a round-up of the Mira-skin system pros and cons to help you decide.
- Multiplies the effects of your own skincare using scientifically proven phonophoresis
- The only home device to replenish your lost slin-plumping Hyaluronic Acid (with the serum)
- Use your own favourite anti-aging serum if you prefer
- Very low effort & commitment
- Quick, easy, relaxing weekly pamper-time
- Compact, simple, safe, intuitive, robust & excellent battery life
- Clinically proven & CE certified
- Professional-grade treatments
- 2-year warranty
- 30-day money back guarantee when bought from Mira-skin.com
- Ongoing cost of faffy gels (200ml for £69)
- Hyaluron serum & masks are expensive (but lush!)
- Clinical test doesn’t include reducing scars or pigmentation
View Mira-skin starter kit deals
Found this review helpful? Please shop via my links to support WeAreBodyBeautiful.com. I earn a small commission, but your price stays the same.
Worldwide shipping options available on CurrentBody.com.
I’ve included this section on the clinical test for the Mira-skin system because I like how transparent and specific it is compared to the studies of other home anti-aging devices.
Mira-skin commissioned a clinical trial in 2016. The trial had 40 subjects and lasted 4 weeks.
- 20 subjects used just the Mira-skin hyaluronic serum daily
- 20 more used the serum daily and with ultrasound once or twice a week
The assessors used facial 3D imaging software. At the trial start they recorded skin wrinkle depth and facial texture for each subject. They then recorded and compared at the end of the 4-week trial.
The study focused on anti-wrinkle effects of the Mira-skin. So, the results shared are the average % decrease in wrinkles and increase in skin hydration, elasticity and smoothness.
The following shows results of the 4-week trial for the 2 test groups:
- Mira-skin Serum only: daily application of the Miraskin Hyaluron Serum
- Mira-skin Serum & Ultrasound: daily application of the Mira-skin Hyaluron serum, and with ultrasound once or twice per week
|Result||Mira-skin Serum only||Mira-skin Serum & Ultrasound|
|Reduces wrinkle fold depth by||17%||28%|
|Improves skin moisture by||22%||33%|
|Improves skin elasticity by||14%||30%|
|Softens and smooths by||20%||30%|
And shown visually in this chart:
MY THOUGHTS ON THE STUDY
The trial has a good number of subjects and a thorough, accurate way of measuring results.
I like it a lot. It’s transparent. Other brands don’t always share such specific results. Therefore, it’s hard to understand how dramatic results will really be. But this gives a specific idea by how much it works. There’s approximately a 30% improvement on average using the serum and ultrasound.
Mira-skin are obviously confident in their product. I’m feeling it too.
Also, I’m encouraged by the results of the Hyaluronic Serum by itself. But the ultrasound boosts some by 50%, That’s very persuasive. I also like the reassuring ‘before and after’ wrinkle reduction photos from the study (see the website here)
AGE SPOTS AND SCARS?
However, the study doesn’t address other advertised effects. Namely fading age spots & freckles, dark pigmentation reduction and minimising scars and stretch marks.
Mira-skin advise that since the 2016 study, they’ve seen excellent results on age spots, pigmentation and scarring. And they’ll shortly share data specifically on scarring, acne scarring and stretch marks.
For pigmentation and skin tone concerns they stand by their claims. But they highlight it’s primarily down to the powerful ingredients in the Mira-skin serum and mask, then boosted by the ultrasound. So, try the full system for these benefits.
CLINICAL VS “OFF LABEL”
Independent clinical verification always gets my vote, but I appreciate there are other ‘off label’ benefits of home beauty devices. I’m excited for the new supporting data Mira-skin shares soon.
For clarity, I’ll now confirm the clinical results and the ‘off label’ results below:
- Decreased wrinkles: Faded fine lines and reduced depth of wrinkles i.e. crow’s feet, smile lines, forehead
- Better skin hydration: Plumped, bright, firm and smoother skin
- Better skin elasticity: Reduced skin creping and sagging
- Smoother skin: exfoliated, plumped skin
“Off label” results (not clinically tested)
- Fades age spots & freckles
- Improves skin tone, brightens and evens out pigmentation
- Reduces scarring i.e. acne scarring, stretch marks